August 25, 2010

Bronze Thrills, Black Confessions, and a little Jive

This is a story of my first lesson in the importance of proper proofreading and editing, and how quickly a manuscript can lose credibility when a reader is confronted with easily avoidable errors.

“Moist Caverns” and “Man Tools”

When I was around 13 or 14, I discovered that nestled amongst the magazines on the stand at the Winn-Dixie grocery store, were four black romance/confession magazines—Jive, Black Confessions, Bronze Thrills, and Black Romance. (These publications were, in my words, an “urban imprint” for Sterling/Macfadden, publisher of the mainstream confession titles True Confessions, True Story, and True Romance.) An avid reader who was suffering from a severe case of puberty, I found my little discovery quite intriguing, to say the least. It didn’t take long for me to realize the salaciousness that lay before me.

He plunged his man tool into my moist cavern…

“Ma!!," hurrying excitedly, "can you buy this for me?”

My poor mother, I bugged her for at least several weeks to buy one of the magazines for me. It was the most important item in the world to me at the time. She was a tough nut to crack, as she wasn’t naïve, and knew all too well the type of stories they were. She shared her concerns that the material was inappropriate for me, and we'd go back and forth on how the stories weren't bad at all, and that I was indeed old enough to read them. I begged each Winn-Dixie visit. I still remember the night when she finally relented. I had been following her around the store holding one of the magazines, looking pitiful, of course. Knowing she’d say no, I wasted my breath again by asking if she’d buy it for me. She reviewed the cover for a moment, and then said yes! That, gentle readers, was one of the happiest moments of my teen years. Bronze Thrills was finally coming home with me (I still have this issue by the way, February 1993). Finally, I was going to read stories about girls just a few years older than me who had boyfriends and were having sex with them; girls disobeying their parents to sneak around with neighborhood bad boys; women catching their husbands having affairs; love triangles; domestic violence; workplace infatuation—Yessssss!

And so my journey began. Soon I started a summer job and was able to buy my own magazines, and I continued to do for a number of years afterward. While I always found the material interesting, and usually had a favorite story in each issue, reading these magazines was an exercise in patience. The grammatical and typographical errors were so blatant that, in my opinion, it offended the intelligence of the readers.

"Errors"

Jennifer, are you telling us that a magazine went to press without anyone bothering to make sure it looked okay?

Yes, I am. Where were the editors? I wondered. Did anyone on the payroll bother to even read one of the issues? Pure foolishness. In addition to suffering with misspelled words, missing words, and no spacing between words, imagine these other crimes against literature that faithful readers had to endure:

The "editors" in charge forced us to

· Attempt to understand text where there was either a misplacement or absence of quotation marks that rendered dialogue and the narrator’s inner thoughts indistinguishable.
· Re-read stories, as a story in one issue was sometimes a word-for-word reprint of one from a few issues back.
· Get to know a main character by one name, let's say “Nathan,” only to turn the page and find that his name had changed to “Mike.”
· Skim an issue's Table of Contents in the store, and become excited at a particular story's title and synopsis, only to get it home and discover that said story wasn’t even in the issue. I'm not kidding. Table of Contents should never lie! (This happened to me twice, and I’m still mad about it.)

"Prisoners"

Before the internet, lonely hearts commonly sought love through classified ads in newspapers and magazines. Black Romance and her sisters were no exception. When I would get a new issue, the first thing I would do is read the "Pen Pals" column in the back. Out of about 25 ads per issue, all but one would be from a prisoner seeking companionship.

"Ebony prince seeks princess for romance and marriage. I'm a writer, musician, and political activist. Will answer all. Roses for you, beautiful lady. Race and weight not important."

(Sidebar: Race and weight never seem to be a problem after all the options have been taken away. Come as you are, my queens. Funny, were they that accepting as free men?)

As an adult, I saw the ad of a guy I think I worked with at McDonalds years before when I was 16. This guy (when I knew him) had gold teeth, a jherri curl, and always wore a cow hide sun visor (of course, I had a crush on him). He had a very unique nickname, and this was the name I saw in the ad. When I saw that this individual was incarcerated in my home state, I was all but assured that he was indeed the same guy who shared fry duty with me and had gone on to make some bad choices. I used to wonder, and still do, how these men found out about these publications; was there some kind of network? I also felt some kind of way about these men possibly attempting to take advantage of lonely women. I'm sure my mother didn't know what to make of me. I was a weird one, I'm sure there were hardly any other teenage girls who found reading inmate personals ads entertaining.

"Conclusion"

Today, Sterling/Macfadden no longer publishes these black love-focused magazines. I think the True magazines are still around though. I wasn’t sad to see them go. Aside from being older and not that into them anymore, I had lost respect for the company for not caring about the quality of this particular brand. It had gotten to the point where I no longer bothered to flip through them anymore. I had spent too many nights becoming engrossed in a story, only to be snatched from the fantasy because of an error that, had anyone cared to proofread it, could have easily been corrected. It's hard to enjoy a story when the journey to get to the end is choppy and misguided. Before abandoning these magazines, I had managed to collect over 30 of them. I have them stashed away here and there. I hope to keep them for a long time because I’m sentimental, but also because I want to pass them on to someone. Most teens/young women today wouldn't find much interest in a nearly 20-year-old romance magazine, but, if one of them is like me, would greatly appreciate the piece of history. Perhaps I'll find someone someday who will treasure them as I have, offensive errors and all.

I've rambled on enough. Now I'm off to go and finish up an earlier post I started in July.

--A nostalgic reader




36 comments:

  1. a.j. lala17hot@hotmail.comJanuary 5, 2012 at 6:37 AM

    great story. thanks for sharing. i was looking for info to see if the magazines were still around. a major part of my childhood. my mom used to read them. i hated them back then! i thought they were sinful. now i wish i kept some of them for nostalgia sake. it was a great part of black americana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. l LOOVED READING BRONZE THRILLS!!!

      Delete
    2. Can I possibly still get any old copies of this magazines?

      Delete
  2. hey, Jennifer

    I'm with you, but i started reading my grandmom's lover novels non african of course, as i got higher in my teens a read alot of mags including true confessions like the other commentor i wish now i'd kept the mags what you said brought back a lot of memories I write now myself but just for my pleasure.... Tw2927@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I have finally found the website where I can buy these magazines. I started reading black confessions, vibe, bronze thrills, jive, black romance when I was 15 and after I graduated from school in 1983 then I did not see them anymore. Thank you I can start reading them again.

    Myrtle from bmore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.ladyleopublishing.net/?utm_campaign=378a7dd3-aabc-4f6a-919d-cfdf0794be7b&utm_medium=lp&utm_source=so

      Delete
  4. I WILL DEFINITELY CHERISH THOSE MAGAZINES YOU HAVE...IF YOU'RE WILLING TO GIVE THEM AWAY...LET ME KNOW!!!! I MISS READING THEM!!! NOSTALGIC BEHIND THE FACT THEY'RE NOT IN PRINT ANYMORE...*SIGHS*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to know that I am not the only one who in my late teens/early twenties enjoyed these magazines. I was recently reminising about them and went searching and cam across this site....:-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ran across your post when I went looking for Jive Magazine hoping to get a subscription; or at least a copy. I grew up on all of those magazines. I too was an avid reader, mostly by choice, partially by force. Growing up in a very rural area with no neighbors and no toys, left little for an adolescent to do. Was not into the farm work. Those magazines were my companions and my solace. My mother never seemed to notice I was reading that mess; she probably read it herself growing up, or thought it might be harmless. Only now is it mess; then it was glorious! Had to tell you I found your post HILARIOUS!!! I laughed so hard I almost woke the hubby up. I recognized every "ERROR" you mentioned and recalled the frustration as if it were yesterday; but mine was momentarily. It took a minute or two to figure out what just HAPPENED; then I was right back to the story. I found it amusing the way you pointed out the DYSFUNCTIONALITY of our old number one choice for entertainment. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I'm just so amazed at the interest my little post about Bronze Thrills has garnered. It's so nice to know that I'm not alone and that so many others found the stories in these magazines entertaining and can relate to the frustrating "errors" I endured in my unyielding readership of the magazines all those years. Thank you for reaching out to me. I appreciate it so much that this post affected you in some way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer
      My name is Antoinette...Lol I started reading bronze trills and the other magazines when I was a teen as well. I thought I was the only one who saw all the errors. It didn't take me long to figure out what was supposed to be in the place of what was missing. I loved those magazines and wish I could have them back again.

      Delete
  8. Believe it or not I use to model for Jive and Bronze Thrills back in the the 80's. I wonder what happened to the photographer Ron Odom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use to model for Ron Odpm also in the Jive Black Confessions..not sure what happened to him...

      Delete
    2. I use to model for Ron Odpm also in the Jive Black Confessions..not sure what happened to him...

      Delete
    3. I’m still around. I am a real estate investor. Been investing since 1996 even while I was the photographer for the Romance magazines. I have a Facebook page also. Friend me. I still have copies of the magazines.

      Delete
    4. I’m still around. I am a real estate investor. Been investing since 1996 even while I was the photographer for the Romance magazines. I have a Facebook page also. Friend me. I still have copies of the magazines.

      Delete
  9. I remember tghis magazines very well. I was 16 when I started reading. They were an awesome read and gave me so much imagination. I wish that I could buy them again. What sweet memories I have during that time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can anyone give the names of the former models, particularly from the mid 90s on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Contact me on Facebook. i’ll be able to help out

      Delete
    2. Wow, glad I am not the only person who would like to obtain a copy of Bronze Thrills. I would find copies in my home. Run to the closet with a flash light with hopes not one would see the light under the door. Then after gaining my confidence. I first looked at the cover, and said to myself. She looks like me. Bronze skin tone, curly hair, the smell of Rose water coming from her body. By this time, I gain the nerves to turn to the first page not knowing what to expect from this adult rated magazine that I had stolen out of my parents room. Thank you again for the amazing stories. I sort of got carried away lol!

      Delete
  11. I miss those times when I would read those on class I had so many people looking at me like I was crazy especially when I read those pen pal ads talk about comedy some of them men were just as parched I wonder did anyone actually get married to someone from those pen pal seriously

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello I miss reading them Jive Magazine's Walgreen's Had them. I will love to read the love stories again

      Delete
  12. I'm Sooo late,but man,I use to love those magazines. They were a big part of my teens.

    ReplyDelete
  13. IHello, Mr Odom,
    I will love to have some copies please ?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love those black magazines too.please contact me at 501 467 0392

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would like to to be able to read some of the copies as well

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey everybody. My first professional writing job was as an advice columnist for "Tell Me Please" and "For Lovers Only" for Bronze Thrills and Black Confessions Magazines. I got hired by the former editor N Brooks, when I met her walking along the beach in Saint Lucia in 1986. I was thrilled to get the job and I hope that my advice helped those in need in some ways. It's nice to know that there's a community out there that remembers these publications. I grew up sneaking and reading True Confessions in our church basement. Pamela R. Lopes

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow that's wonderful you found this post. I used to read the advice columns all the time. Thank you for sharing your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would love to get a hold of the bronze thrills magazine and jive I was in the eighty seventh grade when I started reading them and I enjoyed so much I could not wait for the next addiction to come out so let me no where I can get at

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello call me I love this Magazine's how can Buy them

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, Jennifer
    I used to write for the Black Confessions magazines - Jive, Bronze Thrills, BC, all of them! I wrote for them back in the mid-nineties and I had stories published every month for about 3 or 4 years, I think? I recall when they stopped publishing the magazine.

    I made up most of the stories that I published with them. However, occasionally the editor would contact me with a story-line and she'd ask if I could write it. I always agreed - especially since I wanted the cash!

    I, too, remember the grammatical errors! I also recall the cheesy covers and the photos in the magazine. The models looked somewhat stiff and those pics were downright corny.

    I cringed when I spotted the those personal ads from inmates in the back of the magazine! Goodness!

    I wrote for them because I considered it a stepping stone for my romance writing career. I write Christian/inspirational romances now.

    My experience is not nostalgic like others. I don't recall seeing these magazines in the area where I grew up. The only AA magazines in my area, back in the eighties, were Jet, Ebony, and Right On! I believe Right On! is also a Sterling Macfadden publication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, how awesome to hear from a former writer. Your contributions to those magazines meant a lot to me during my teen years. They were so entertaining. And my mother shocked me when she said her mother used to read them.

      They were only in a few grocery stores where I lived. Despite the errors, i looked forward to reading them. I starting writing short stories bc of contributors like you.

      Delete
  21. Wow, I love to read those spicy magazines back in my teens. My friends and I would trade with one another.ii

    ReplyDelete
  22. Does anyone know where - Online or otherwise, can I obtain copies of the magazines? I'm looking for all versions 1979 -1980

    ReplyDelete