July 3, 2016

Sunday nights since March 2014

It's Sunday night. I'm at the laptop with two class assignments due by 11:59 p.m. As I write this post the time is 7:27 p.m.

Most Sundays night since March 2014 have ended up the same way. Down to the wire, trying to finish an assignment that I had no time to complete during the work week. This is one of those Sundays. The kids are away at a cookout (wait a minute, it's the 4th of July weekend and I'm doing school work). So you'd think that would leave me ample time to get work done. Wrong.

I'm stuck on a journal assignment that I don't quite understand. Here's the prompt:

After reviewing this module’s resources, compare and contrast Rory Sutherland’s concept of “frame of reference” marketing to that of expensive and magnificent solutions. Assess the ideal of branding and rebranding through “positioning” and “frame of reference.”

Now one of my texts, Kellogg on Branding, speaks of frame of reference from a marketing perspective and defines it as "a statement of the target's goal that will be served by consuming the brand....the frame of reference may guide the choice of targets, identify situations in which the brand might be used, and define relevant competitors."

Okay, I think I got that. However, Rory Sutherland's "frame of reference" TED Talk focuses on how situations can be reframed to provide a different perception. One example he provides is saying "I'm unemployed" versus "I'm taking a year off." The situation is the same...not having a job. But the latter's perception is that of choice or having the ability to take a year off and not needing a job. 

So what I'm trying to do is apply this concept to marketing and I'm having a hard time. 

Oh well, let me get back to work. I actually have an integrated marketing plan to also finalize. 

My master's is so close I can almost taste it!

No comments:

Post a Comment